Sunday, June 03, 2007

Ideal fluidity


Daniel Bernoulli's principle— "...the only cause of the change in fluid velocity is the difference in balanced pressure on either side of it..."

Wikipedi defines Flow as "the mental state of operation in which the person is fully immersed in what he or she is doing, characterized by a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity."

So I've chopped apart Bernoulli's principle (taking it completely out of context), mixed it up with the concept of "flow" and I think that I have finally discovered my own new principle of fluidity.
"Having balance on both sides of my life, my "work" life and my "home" life provides a state of constant flow."

You see, before I had children, my life's focus was very simple—it was on traveling and drawing. Back then, living in a constant "state of flow" was easy. We owned nothing except what we absolutely needed. We made every decision and every move based on that focus. That focus was a single beam of light ahead of us. Life just was flow.

Since having kids however, that "flow" has not been so easily achieved. With each child (especially our first), life has had to adjust to a different beat and to a little more "stuff". Suddenly that single beam of white light is not quite so simply followed. Its colours are beautiful but I've struggled with the dispersion as much as I have with all the extra stuff we have accumulated.

What I'm so excited about is that I think that I finally feel fluidity coming back into our lives. This feeling has been achieved by finding and hiring a wonderful assistant into my "home" life side, adding what Thoreau refers to as a "wider margin to my day". She's my "Girl Friday". (Actually, she's my girl "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and sometimes Saturday" as well). She takes the kids to the playground, she cleans our house, she folds those mounds of laundry, she does anything we have on our Home "To Do" List that we just can't seem to get to.

I'm finally beginning to feel in "Flow" in all areas of my life again, not just in my creative outlets. I even have many moments in my day where I can sit back and enjoy the beauty of the rainbow, of our rainbow.

Who knows, maybe if Bernoulli's principle can be adapted and applied I might actually even be able to fly!

No comments: