Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Something else you can do with tissue paper...


Its kind of a known fact around here that my kids can do almost anything (that's not harmful to themselves or other's) if they just let me get my drawing and painting done. I don't even mind them creating a huge mess (most of the time) as long as we can get it all cleaned up before dinner.

Yesterday, Piper spent the afternoon creating elaborate tissue paper creations while I managed to get another commission drawn and out of the way. She just comes up with the greatest things.

While I'm loving how my "live" drawing is right now, I have to admit I'm still struggling a little with some elements of my gift caricature work. There are areas that I know need improvement, always have, but I haven't spent the time and effort to figure out what is really wrong with those elements.

I know part of the problem stems from seeing my commission caricature work and my paintings as having separate artistic rules. On a conscious level I know the rules are the same, but I still come up on big hurdles in my head when critiquing the caricature work.

However, I'm very inspired now to get to the bottom of it and figure some things out...

3 comments:

Tad Barney said...

Is that a PERMANENT marker she has in her hand???

:)

Tad Barney said...

It seems like on this gift piece that the heads are smaller in relationship to the rest of the elements in the drawing and all that space in the sky on the upper left really competes with everything else that's going on.

I think the faces, bodies, boat and accessories are excellent though.

Caricature Girl said...

Tad, yes that is a sharpie...don't tell Mark...

...with the picture, thanks for the feedback —I know that the heads are small, the gentleman that this was for actually wanted it to be a "general cartoon of that situation" and then of course I got carried away with making it into caricatures of them, but didn't want to make the heads any bigger so that it wouldn't become to "caricaturish". I had an island in that space but then because he was supposed to be "out in the middle of nowhere" I didn't know how else to handle that space.