Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Falling into passion...Passion is intoxicating and thrilling. It can also be extremely unsettling and frightening. Allowing ourselves to fall into it, whether its creative passion or physical desire is not always easy. It reminds me of the game we used to play at summer camp called "Trust". In the game, someone would stand behind, with their arms ready to catch you. You would then have to close your eyes and fall backwards. Allowing yourself that feeling of free falling, before you felt the relief of their arms, wasn't easy, at least not for me. It threw everything I instinctively desired; balance, stability and solid footing out the window.
Creative energy makes me feel that same way.

When I feel myself passionately drawn to something, its not always initially clear why I need to go there. Rarely does it seem justifiable to invest the time and energy pursuing something more, especially when that pursuit gets in the way all of those things I "should" be doing.

But something always entices me there, and it inevitably takes me where I needed to go.

The game of Trust, became easier, with practice. The more you did it, the more you were able to believe that there was a place you would feel safe again. Following your passion and creative energy is exactly the same.

2 comments:

SEILER said...

I feel the same way . . . also, interesting art, is this something you made? Looks great!

Caricature Girl said...

Hey Jason,
Thanks.
Yes, I did do the art, it is the inside front cover of a new altered book I am working on about Creativity, Art and Sex.