Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Having an sensual experience with art...
It is no surprise to me that the word passion is used by both artists and lovers. To me, creative energy and sexuality are very similar, if not even the same energy expressed in different ways.

I used to live with my art studio. We were really good together. Our needs were always met— late at night, occasional afternoons and sometimes, spontaneously in the wee hours of the morning. There were long, leisurely art sessions spent together, or sometimes just quickies... you know, five minutes before I had to be somewhere else. Often, first thing in the morning, I would wander in there, all rumpled and sleepy, just looking for my coffee cup and the next thing I knew I had been seduced into painting.

Well, about 8 months ago, my studio moved out. It was an exciting, mutual decision for us to live separately. I would have a living room back and it would have a beautiful, larger commercial space for us to make art in, conveniently across the street from the school my kids attend. It was perfect in every way....or so I thought.

The thing is, lately I have started to notice issues with this "long distance" relationship. The spontaneous moments that the studio and I used to share (and deeply enjoy) have been replaced by a relatively routine, planned and structured schedule. Suddenly I find myself late at night, craving...aching actually, for creative expression and there is nothing but my computer to satisfy me. Or alternatively, I find myself at the studio routinely in the morning, after dropping the kids off at school and I'm thinking about the groceries I need to get...not even noticing the gentle whispers, promising pleasure and pure creative expression.

I am not sure what to do. I do know that every relationship has its complicated areas and sometimes it just takes time to understand how to work these things out.

In the meantime, I think I am going to sneak some paints home...just don't tell the studio.

3 comments:

jimvanderkeyl said...

Whew I think I need a cigarette...
Nicely written.. I think you have another concubine.. words..

Caricature Girl said...

LOL...thanks for the comment!

SEILER said...

Yeah, time for a smoke . . . sometimes I take my paints home too, just to look at.